Wednesday, April 16

Sad News from the Farm

Both boys came along to the farm today, but when we arrived there was sad news. Remember Rosie, the ewe? She was pregnant and about to give birth any day.

Above, she is helping herself to some hay. Well, Rosie went into labor on the weekend and it seems that one of her lambs were lodged up near her spine. The baby damaged the nerves along her spine and the message that she was giving birth did not get through to her brain. She was in a lot of pain when they found her. Rosie and both of the lambs died before the vet could arrive. If she had been found earlier, a cesarian section may have saved her, the lambs or both. Then again, maybe not. Life on a farm is fragile and these things happen. Both of the boys took the news well. I was quite proud of them. They are learning the lessons of the circle of life.


Little Matthew, above, was Rosie's baby from last year. He is so cute and growing every day. However, he misses his Mama and was blatting incessantly while we were there. Some believe animals have no feelings, but that is not what I believe. Having grown up on a farm, I know better.
The baby goat is the only one that is left. Her name is Crystal. Everyone calls her Chrissy. The boys enjoyed fetching some grain for Crystal and Matthew and they learned how to spread grain along in the feed trough. Crystal and Matthew were happy to eat what they provided.

According to Katie, who is the daughter of the owners, her father is going to an auction this Friday. He hopes to buy a female lamb about Matthew's age so he can breed them when they are old enough. This will be a welcome addition for the boys. She also told us that they are hoping to buy a few goats and some rabbits so they can have a petting pen for visitors this summer. That will be a lot of fun for all the kids.

The photos that I've posted today and ones that I've had for a while. I forgot to take the camera along. I don't have new batteries yet, but did get the camera to upload yesterday. I'm hoping that next week when we go to the farm there will be a new lamb to take photos of.

Not much other news from here. It was a beautiful spring day and the boys and I saw several pair of doves on the way to the farm. They both enjoy watching birds.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Wednesday and that the weather is nice wherever you are. I'm enjoying the lovely spring weather we're having right now. Have a great day and remember to give thanks for all you have. ~Blessings, Mary~

If you would like to have your name entered for a Christian fiction book, please go to my Pay It Forward Post and leave a comment stating that you'd like to participate. The contest ends at 12:01 my time on April 17th and the winner will be announced when I post on Thursday evening.

23 comments:

  1. Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the TV Digital, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://tv-digital-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one friend who raises sheep and another who raises goats. Today I visited with a woman who raises alpaca and shears them, spins the wool, dies it, and sells it in her shop.

    I really enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sad, Mary. But sooner or later death comes for us all, and it's good that your grandsons are learning this necessary truth now. Some adults never learned how to cope with death and still struggle to deal with it.

    By the same token, birth is the other side of the coin and life goes on. The new animals will help to temper the loss of the the animal friends who don't make it.

    Love and hugs,

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary,
    How sad that Rosie died. I know children have to learn about death but it's a hard lesson sometimes. We can't shield them from the world and hard lessons but sometimes we want to. I agree with you that animals feel things.

    Thanks for coming by to see me. I'm doing better with my meds and I'm still learning about diet. It's hard. I have fatigue too and haven't been very active lately, physically or mentally. Maybe the warmer weather will help!

    Hugs and Blessings,
    Hope

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry that rosie died. I enjoyed the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sad!
    But i am glad that they are going to get some more animals for this summers visits.
    We had some farm animals when I was in high school and they do become part of your family. I do believe they have feeling and grow to love us.
    Our dogs and cats are proof of that.;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't get past the death of Rosie!!

    Thanks for the visit and the wonderful comment...you made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sad news for the boys but as you said, these things happen on a farm. I'm glad it hasn't changed their enthusiasm for the farm.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved the photos but sad to learn about Rosie.It is as you say, the circle of life. Hope you have a wonderful day. BTW, I found an autism awarness blogroll you may like...

    http://momologue.blogspot.com/2008/03/join-me-in-blogging-for-autism.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. RYQ--I love to write. I have been doing it off and on since I was in high school and college. I once thought it might be something that God wanted me to do--but there are already so many voices out there.
    I love when He gives me something to write. It is like a little gift from Him. I turn it around in my hands and admire it as a sweet piece of Him.
    Do you understand? It is not from me--it is from Him in me. So when it comes out I thank Him for sharing it with me and then I want to share it with others so that they can enjoy it too.
    Does that make sense?
    Sometimes I write things and it is just blah, blah, blah--my thoughts.
    Then sometimes things come out and I want to jump up and down because He spoke and I heard.And my spirit goes....Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mary honey
    tis sad but the good thing
    is learning for the boys..and animals DO have feelings OH MY GOSH
    if you have ever been with just ONE ..even the birds
    God shows you that.

    The animals are our gifts also..love and hugs..Deena

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry about Rosie.......but these are lessons that will help the boys to prepare for the realites of life....and new life is coming to the farm and how wonderful that will be for them....... they will be all excited about that...........

    I am not doing so good on the diet.... gained 8 oz yesterday and for the life of me I have no idea how........ and so it goes......

    Love

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mary,

    That is so sad about Rosie. And poor little Matthew. I agree with you about animals having feelings. And I know Brandon and Jordan love visiting the farm.

    I'm glad your weather is nice now. I just got home and am heading to dig a bit in the garden. I love playing in the dirt.

    I checked out your Flea Market. How neat! I'll be checking it out every Friday now.

    Have a great day.

    Hugs,

    Renie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Mary - I thought it was time I left a comment so you knew I was still here. I've been reading, but not much time lately so the comments were scarce. I always enjoy your farm posts. I grew up on a farm and it takes me back. I agree that animals have feelings and it is really sad about Rosie and her lambs. A new sheep will be a nice addition.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mary this story touched my heart in fact brought tears to my eyes! Nature and the wonder of birth is so special and at times so so fragile..the line between life and death...and certainly one of Gods miracles when it happens. Momma and baby were called home perhaps their time ..sad ending..tears down my cheek..hugs aNNa xo..

    I do hope you viewed my 5 day old foal images with mama!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sad about Rosie. It is hard when our animals die. Nancy has a hard time with it.
    we go to her Dr tomorrow and we will get the results. love Grams

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, this is sad...I always have said that I would love to live on the farm, but the truth is, I'm a tad too sensitive for realities, I think. So glad the boys were able to take it well about Rosie and the lambs.
    Hugs,
    ~Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I find it sad when one loose it beloved pets.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So sorry to hear about Rosie. My husband's goats did good with the birthing this year. 25 new kids...only lost one...

    I hope your farmer will be able to find a new sheep for Matthew. I know animals have feelings and all those mama goats know which kid belongs to them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. bummer about mommy and her babies.
    Unfortunaly death is a part of life,it is all part of the great journey we all travel.

    Hugs and Blessing to your household from mine.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mary,
    I'm thrilled to be the winner.....I know I will enjoy the book....I've emailed the information....

    I'm so sorry about Rosie and the little lamb. I had a flock of sheep for many years and enjoyed them tremendously.....I posted on them once.....Betty

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my goodness, what a sad thing to happen. Hope the children are coping ok with Rosie's death.
    Kathy@ Mimi's Garden

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mary,

    I'm sorry to hear about Rosie and her babies. I wish every child could experience life on the farm. The boys have not only enjoyed so much but have learned about the "circle of life" in such a natural way.

    Take care my friend.
    Hugs,
    Tina

    ReplyDelete