Friday, May 8

Spring Blooms

Last week, the boys and I planted a few vegetables. I couldn't believe it when this morning I saw that the leaf lettuce is already poking up through the ground. There is also one green onion sprouting, so it looks like we will have a few things to eat from that garden unless it is stolen by the wildlife that lives nearby.

I also bought a few viola plants last week for a brass pot that I purchased at an auction sale a couple of years ago.
They look very nice on the porch railing with the Canada flag in the background. The blue is a piece of glass that was in our aquarium. Hubby was going to throw it out and I rescued it. I think it's so pretty.
I was also delighted when I opened the door this morning and found this beautiful iris was in bloom. I've been watching it for a few days. There are going to be three more that bloom on this plant and my Black Knight looks like it is going to have a bloom this year as well. When it comes out, I will get a photo. This one, which I forget the name of, and the Black Knight are my favorites. I do have heirloom iris that's been passed down from my great-grandmother, but not sure they are going to bloom this year. All of my iris need to be transplanted and I'm hoping to get that done late this summer. I'd like to have them all in one bed.

Sunday is Mother's Day and I'd like to wish all mothers and grandmothers a very special day with their loved ones.

16 comments:

  1. Love the iris... and the yellow in your brass pot... I would have rescued that beautiful blue rock too..LOL

    Happy Mother's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful iris! Happy Mothers Day to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Irises are very pretty flowers, but mine didn't stay in bloom long and I didn't think the foliage justified their space. Van Gogh would have been displeased with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Mothers day girl friend.. Your flowers are wonderful.... I am wanting some new iris to put out front but I just do not know what color I want....... I think yellow and plant some morning glories behind them........

    Oh well, Have a blessed day Sunday girl... you are a priceless Grandmother

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Dear Mary I want to wish you a memory making Mother's Day. May it be filled with many special blessings..m.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Mothers day Mary! What a cool find to put your plants in. A while ago I found a vintage type coal bucket and it's growing yellow daisies from it, very bright and cheerful :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh be still my heart!!!!!! That iris is just absolutely stunning. I must....MUST find a place to put more of them, I like 'em so.

    Beautiful work. I'm glad to hear that your garden is sprouting already. Green thumb indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have some beautiful Iris this yaar too. I just love them.

    Hope your Mother's Day is extra special Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That Iris is beautiful. I hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day, too. I don't have any plans except for Church. Honey Bear is in Memphis. Once the house closing is over and we moved the rest of the furniture, I don't believe we'll be apart on weekends as much anymore.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your Iris Mary, they are so pretty and I was suprised to find out that some have a nice scent. I am with you on saving that pretty piece of glass. I set the planter with the leaf lettace outside and it seems very happy. I am wondering if I can transplant it to the garden? The basement is being overrun with all kinds of plants, waiting for the 15th to set them out.
    On another note, I too used to have a motorcycle. My racing career was very short,lol.

    Happy Mother's Day to you

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seeing the planters you have pictured today reminded me that I forgot last night when we were out to look for some large pots! I bought two tomato plants last week at the church's "Spring Fling Garden Party" and want to get two big pots to put one in each pot and then, set them on the deck to continue growing. But with the weather a tad unreliable right now, the pots could be moving in and out of the house when need be, then provide some greenery on the deck during the summer as well as -hopefully -a convenient place to harvest a fresh tomato or two, maybe, for a good tomato sandwich at the end of the summer! Sound like a plan to you?

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are a head of me in planting garden. I love iriss, but don't have any. I am into wild floweres. Sorry it has been a while since I have stopped by. Have had some helth problems, but I am on the mend now.

    Love and Hugs,
    Joyce-Creation In Progress

    ReplyDelete
  13. It seems to me that you have quite a "homey" home. The flower is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love iris's, too. Mine are now in bloom. I love the brass pot. I wish you a Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete