Wednesday, May 25

A Wake Up Call


I just finished reading this blog post by my friend Ms. Kathleen of A Picturesque Life. and it was a wake up call. Kathleen has mentioned that she wasn't a hoarder like you see on tv, but had trouble letting go of things. I have the same problem and I'm glad she brought it up. There's so many things that I think about getting rid of and then think, "Well, maybe one of the grandsons or my daughter would like it, or maybe even my niece."

Since I sell vintage items in my Etsy shop I do have things in my house temporarily until they sell. They are fairly organized in boxes or on shelves and they are not as much the problem here as the things that are personally mine and hubby's. Every time I think of getting rid of something I think about the person who gave it to us or think about where it came from. I tend to hang on to these types of things for sentimental reasons...but....does anyone else really care where the Circus World plate came from or the Southern Belle Depression Glass lamp? Both of these particular items have been collecting dust for years. Why am I keeping them? I do love the lamp, but have no special attachment to the plate. Then there are the President plates that I bought in the late 70s and early 80s when I was vacationing in the US.

I have gotten rid of many of the things that I've collected over the years but can't bear to give away gifts that people have given to us. I guess I'm afraid their feelings would be hurt if they visited and found that I had given these things away. On the other hand, like Kathleen asks, would they even remember? They might if they actually saw the item on display, but they might not.

Thanks, Kathleen, for giving me a wake up call. I think there will be a few more things listed in my Etsy shop if we ever get enough sunshine to take photos.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you Mary! I'm still packing things up for the Free Store here in town. My daughter sold some of my stuff at a rummage sale. And I have been giving things away to friends and I love to see their surprised smiling faces! The Etsy Shop is a great way to get rid of things that someone will love to have. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you imagine the irony that if you were to put some of those gifts up for sale and the person who gave them to you, bought them? :) LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. {{{{Mary!!!!}}} I don't often find time to check my google reader but this morning while I was still indoors before going out for the day, I saw you had posted! Girl?------you had me worried something drastic happened with you or a loved one. Glad to see you posted.

    Hope you're well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello dear Mary:-)

    So good to see you posting again! I'm trying to catch up with everyone, not enough hours in a day to do everything I want to do! lol

    Last year was my wake up call where keeping way too much stuff was concerned and you would not believe the stuff I finally got rid of. I've had to learn to stop hanging on to something just because of sentimental value and had to choose what meant more to me. To be honest, once it's gone/given away, you don't miss it anymore:-)

    I will give you a call next week, this week E is off and driving me crazy! lol Love to you my friend. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post really interesting writing style.

    ReplyDelete