Thursday, August 11

Downsizing Two Houses

Downsizing one house isn't bad enough but right now we are downsizing two. I have my own to do, since we will be moving after 20 years and I also have Mom's to help with. Mom and her friend have been working at it but hubby, Brandon and I got more done yesterday than they have in a week. Mom tries to pour over every tiny bit of paper that she finds. I've told her that she just doesn't have time. She had a box of receipts from 1990.

I don't like to rush her, but time is of the essence. Mom is a kind of hoarder. Some of the boxes have not been unpacked since she moved there 18 years ago. She just bought more stuff and piled it in one of the bedrooms in the basement.

Mom mostly hoards fabric. That room is 12 x 12 and it was piled to the ceiling and out to the door with fabric. Many boxes said, "Do Not Touch." There were pieces of fabric in some of those boxes that have been there for almost 50 years. I couldn't believe it when I found pieces of fabric that she'd used for my dresses when I was a child.

Good thing that all of this vintage fabric is in excellent condition. I've washed some of it, pressed it and listed it in my Etsy shop. I have shipped some as far away as Japan and have had inquiries from Spain and Singapore.

Please wish me luck in getting all of this done by the time we are supposed to move, which is approximately mid-September to the first of October.

11 comments:

  1. What a task! I didn't know you were moving - must have missed that somehow. Hope all goes well with all this packing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck. Our downsizing move six years ago was quite the event. We got rid of a lot of stuff but still kept too much. Now, six years older, I don't know how we could find the energy to do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ran across one of my blog friends the other day who wrote about all the fabric she owns and how she can't resist buying it. If I can remember which friend it was I'll send her your way. Sounds like you've got some treasures she would love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. UGH! Moving sucks! What you are describing of your Mom's hoarding sounds a bit like what my kids will go through here when I am dead and gone. I LOVE fabric -and yarn -oh and also, embroidery kits and such! And I have several totes stashed in the basement here filled with fabric and yarn treasures! My embroidery "treasures" are stashed in about 2 totes, one in my room and the other, in the living room near my favorite crafting recliner! I have curbed my fabric fetish though over the past 3 years now because I can't justify it these days since I can't get to my sewing machine right now to actually use the stuff. One of these days though, Mandy says she's going to find a place to set up my sewing machine where it can be used again which would be nice to be able to do some sewing.
    Good luck with all that clearing out work though. I don't envy you one iota as you set forth to do that work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've lived here for 33 years now and I can't even fathom the horror it would be to move! But I need to pretend I am and get my basement cleaned! Your mom's house sounds like a real challenge - I've been watching the Hoarder show on t.v. and it amazes me what people save - but of course, true hoarders have a mental condition that causes them to do that in such a severe manner.

    Where are you moving, Mary?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know you were moving. I'll have to see what posts I've missed. I'm like your Mother in that I get caught up on looking at things....In her case this might be her last chance to look at those memories....I know its frustrating but if you don't go through it now, you'll have it to do later.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was so hoping that things had gotten better and that you could stay where you are but I see now that you will be moving in with your mom. I know it's heartbreaking having to leave your own home but maybe in the long run it will be good to be with your mom and making sure she's ok:-)

    Downsizing is such a chore, isn't it! I dread ever having to move from here, there is 35 years worth of stuff! lol Gosh, your mom sure does love her material, wow!! Hopefully you can sell it all on Etsy. Best of luck with that:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a Job!!! I hate to think about a move. I have lived in this house for 19 years and stuff just collects!! Oh My!! It sounds like you really have your hands full, Mary!! Oh so much to do and not enough time! I will pray that it will not be so stressful for you. Love and hugs Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. My thoughts and prayers will be with you as one house would be enough but two. Bless your heart. Peace

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary -

    You know what's been going on with me - when Keith died, I put almost everything that I own in storage, except for my computer, a few clothes, a few school books that I reference a lot and of course my rabbit [who is now in heaven] and Keith's cat...

    I've decided that when I get ready to move into my own place again, since everything in storage is packed up already, I'm going to hire a few strong young men from the neighborhood to move it for me. and if I don't change my mind, I might pay them a little extra to unpack all of the kitchen stuff and take the boxes with them.

    I can't handle moving any more.

    I'm finished....

    :)

    Wishing you luck and speed though, I know how hard it is...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! It's nice that the fabric is still in good shape and you are able to sell it. I wish you the best of luck getting the houses ready. I know what a huge undertaking that is!

    ReplyDelete