Monday, November 26

Why Do They Do This? Update on Hubby!

Last Thursday, I took hubby to see the family doctor. He was to go for a checkup. He also has a checkup with the cardiologist and the heart doctor who did his stents coming up in the next month of so. But, back to Thursday.

We went and the doctor basically said the hospital had put him on too much blood pressure medication. She didn't change it though, as she doesn't want his pressure to go too high. Not sure about this. They did that to me and I cut my meds down myself. The reason was, I kept trying to faint. Last night hubby only took 1/2 of his blood pressure pill and he feels quite a bit better today. No dizziness or feeling like he's going to fall over. Usually this female doctor is very good. Not sure why she didn't change it.

Anyway, she checked his heart, his breathing and his throat where he had the bleed that I referred to in the previous post. Then she read the test results from his hospital stay. Somehow the hospital had it that hubby had only one stent put in. We were told two, so who knows what the truth is.

The heart doctor who did the stent procedure told hubby that it was the last procedure that he could have. The female family dr. then told hubby that he had five years left, give or take a year or so. I felt like someone had punched me in the gut, so not sure how hubby felt, but know he has been depressed ever since.

I told him to look at it in a positive light. Not many people know when their time is short and that he should make a Bucket List. Maybe we can do some things that he's always wanted to do. He has done that, but it can't be fun knowing that your time is short. Anyway, I don't believe them. No one knows for sure when another person is going to run out of time...no, not even drs, though they may have a fair idea. I know a man who was told he had three months to live and that was over six years ago.

All of this has been very stressful for both of us. We are trying to move along and make the best of things. We will be moving sometime in the next couple of months and that is added stress. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

12 comments:

  1. You are so right - they can predict, but only God knows! I'm so sorry that you are dealing with this though and I'll be praying for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about your troubles, but I would take that prediction with a grain of salt. Anyway, I figure that in reality all any of have is today. If we're lucky, we get more todays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God bless Mary! You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had my share of irritation from doctors and I have learned to advocate for myself and do what you did with your meds. You are right, no one knows but the Lord the number of your days. I am not sure that doctors should tell you how long you have unless it is under dire circumstances. I pray you can live the next 5 years to their fullest knowning that God is in control....blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honey, I'll definitely be praying! Do you have a strong, believing family, or steafy, faith-based friends at church? You don't have to face this, wether it's true or not, alone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for writing the Grandma's Xmas cake story. You write so well and I enjoy those oldie stories. I am sorry to hear that Dwight has had such a time of it lately. It sounded some what familiar, because a nurse sat down and told Mimi she had congestive heart failure when she went in over night to get the pick line for me to give her the meds for her bladder infection. You are correct as NONE of us knows when our time is up but it sounds like the compassion was missing when they were telling him and getting him to sign that form for a experimental drug. Peace be with you dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both of you are in my prayers. I know lots of people that lived much longer than they were told. I never asked and so far no one has ever told me any preditions. None of us know so we should live each and every day to the fullest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...our first grandson wasn't supposed to live beyond 5 years of age, he's now 23.

    Yes, enjoy time together and do some things, for NONE of us know when our time is up.

    Sounds like one 'mickey mouse' hospital. Geez.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary, I feel for you and your hubby. Doctors have no idea how long a person has. Let your hubby know that living each day to the best of a persons ability is all we can do. A Bucket List sounds like a great idea for him.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't even imagine how you must both be feeling with all this going on, you're still both in my thoughts and prayers, dear Mary. I will never understand some doctors and the decisions they make!! When my dad found out he had cancer, they told him he only had 3 months to live...he lived another year and a half. My friend June's husband had open heart surgery and they told him he only had a couple of years to live...that was 11 years ago!! So, really, I don't believe they can predict how long one has to live, that's in God's hands. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was very happy to discover this page. I wanted to thank you for ones time for this particularly
    wonderful read!! I definitely really liked every little bit of it and I have you book marked
    to check out new things in your site.
    my webpage: custom jerseys

    ReplyDelete