May is Sexual Abuse Prevention Month in Ontario and I would like to draw your attention to female predators.
When we think of sexual abuse of children, we almost always think of the predator as being male. It's true that 75% of those who sexually abuse children are men, but keep in mind that the other 25% are women ranging in age from teens to the elderly.
Often sexual abuse by a female is not reported to police because of a lack of public awareness. Of the children who do report sexual abuse by a woman, 86% are accused of lying about the incident.
Now this brings me to last night's airing of W5. This show sends investigative reports out to get the low-down on all types of issues. Last night's show was about two students who were sexually abused by their teachers.
The girl was just 12 years old when her female teacher started inviting her to her house. For two years the teacher befriended the girl and didn't make a move on her. However, after she had gained the girl's trust, she coaxed her to join the school basketball team. Then she told the girl that she might as well stay over in her trailer so her parents didn't have to pick her up when practice was done. The girl and her parents fell for it.
For years this young girl was sexually molested by the teacher. She became sullen and withdrawn and instead of asking her what was wrong, her parents went to this teacher and asked her to help them. The girl finally came out and told her parents what was going on and the mother told her that is she was a lesbian she was no daughter of hers. The girl then tried to committ suicide. When it all was said and done, the girl's parents were told to get her out of town by the principal of the school. The girl has gone through years of hell and you won't believe this... the teacher was still teaching in that school ten years later.
After ten years - almost to the day of her suicide attempt - the girl was contacted by the authorities and asked if she was sexually abused by this woman. She went to court and testified. The teacher was given two years in prison. She was out in less than a year.
Now for the male student. He was 17 years old and in grade 11 when a petite and beautiful young teacher who was married, called him into her classroom and gave him a note saying that she was interested in having a relationship. The young man was flattered at first and he and the teacher spent many hours together during the summer break. It was a small town and the dirty little secret was much talked about.
The situation came to a head when the teacher handed the student another note saying that she was pregnant. The student was horrified. He had no desire to become a father. Everyone in town seemed to agree it was his fault that the relationship took place in the first place. No one would talk to W5 except two elderly gentlemen who thought it was a big joke. However, the male student has suffered the consequences of the sordid love affair and is ostracized in his town because the teacher lost her job, the baby and her life is in shambles. The courts sided with the defence attorney who said that the teacher's life was in chaos and that was punishment enough.
So remember, if a child comes to you and says he/she has been sexually abused by a woman, chances are they're telling the truth. Report it to the police immediately. No child should have to experience sexual abuse. It changes them forever and makes them someone other than who God intended them to be.
Be an advocate for a child. If you suspect that a child is being sexually abused, report it to the proper authorities. ~Blessings, Mary~