Tuesday, August 5

Fishing Fun and a Meme

Jordan stayed overnight on Monday night and this morning we decided to go fishing. We arrived at the same lake that I showed you photos of last week. No sooner had Jordan's line hit the water than he had a bite. He wasn't successful in hooking that fish but it wasn't long until he had one.


If you look closely, you can see the pumpkin fish that he caught. It wasn't a bad size and he enjoyed landing it.

After a few unsuccessful attempts at hooking a bite, he made another successful landing. This was also a pumpkin fish, otherwise known as a sunfish in these parts.

We had several snags that seemed to move and I told Jordan I thought it was a snapping turtle trying to eat his worm.

Sure enough, the creature stuck its head out of the water and stared at us for a few minutes. Just as I tried to capture it on my digital, it dropped back under the surface. It only stayed under a few seconds and came up to take another look. I snapped the photo and you can see it above. It was a good size, but snapping turtles do grow a lot bigger than this one. It's been years since I saw one and this fellow freaked Jordan out.

Jordan then caught a little rock bass. By this time it was high noon and getting really hot and humid. We decided to call it a day.


When we got to the the van, we saw this Monarch butterfly resting on the gravel. It was probably enjoying the moisture that was trapped there from yesterday's rain. We watched it for a while and then headed home. Jordan really enjoyed the fishing trip. Tonight Brandon is staying over, but since it's raining we don't know if we will get to go fishing or if we'll have to make other plans.


I've been tagged for a meme by Hootin' Anni and also by Storyteller.

The rules: All you have to do is Google your first name with the word needs behind it and post the first 10 results. Don't forget to tag people (if you are the tagging sort)!
1. Mary needs shadows with pictures and videos.
2. Mary needs to determine the best day to work her magic.
3. Mary needs sleep. (After having both the boys overnight, this is very true.)
4. Mary needs numbers. (I hope they are lucky lottery numbers. lol)
5. Mary needs to learn the rules. (What can I say. I've always been a rebel.)
6. Mary needs prayers. (This is always true. We all need prayers everyday.)
7. Mary needs to schedule appearances in better venues. (???)
8. Mary needs to be protected.
9. Mary needs a little consistency.
10. Mary needs to express herself.
Well, I'm not sure I agree with all of these but these are the first ten searches that came up when I entered Mary needs into Google.
Now, let's look at number five. I am not always a rule follower. If you decide to participate, please leave me a comment so I can come and read your results. This was kind of fun.
Take care. I best get to bed, as Brandon is asleep and I have an 8:30 appointment in the morning. He will be up with the birds, as he is an early to bed and early to rise kind of boy. Have a great day. ~Blessings, Mary~

18 comments:

  1. Hey girl...... there you go again being this super grandma! I so love reading how you keep those precious boys out and about.... I need to come up there and share some time with you and those boys.... I keep waiting for my grandkids but they are not happening yet! We have huge snapping turtles here and they will get hold of that hook and away they will go...... When will the boys head back to school? I bet you will miss them .......

    As usual loved reading about your day...... I hope to be back in the blog groove next week.......

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - a snapping turtle along with some fish - great going there and even neater that you got a picture of the turtle too!
    I've been fighting since Friday trying to get my google reader to function again. It updates all the blogs I subscribe to ok, but my own blog, nope -won't update it and it is really beginning to tick me off since I have done 8 posts Since Thursday which is the last date my blog was updated on my reader! Pain in the behind it is I tell you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun you had!
    I see people fishing in the creek outside our camper often during the day...I will soon have to pull out my pole too.
    Loved the pictures. I'll have to post pictures of our field trip the other day too.
    Glad ya'll caught some fish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading about your adventures with your grandsons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mornin' Mary!! These are super photos. I'm sure glad you took your camera with you, and that it worked. Great fishing shots. And that turtle....whoa! Monarch butterflies are one of my favorites.

    Hope it doesn't rain for your 2nd grandson adventure slash sleep over!!!

    Take care
    Hugs
    A

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary,
    My congratulations to Jordan! Way to go! Catching the snapper and the monarch photos is terrific. I always find turtle tough to photograph. But then I always found fish tough to catch. I have never caught one - only an eel. LOL

    I love your meme. Some of those are so outrageously funny and others really hit the mark. Number 5 is no surprise to me, my friend! LOL Storyteller tagged me for this meme. I will try to get it posted today. I will let you know.

    I hope you and Brandon have a great day!

    Hugs,
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like you and Jordan had one fun morning fishing! You are one neat Grandma!
    I liked your Mary needs list too! Love, Grams

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of them being called pumpkin fish, but we liked eating sunfish when we caught them as kids - kind of like eating potato chips - crunchy, quick.

    You can send some of that rain our way if you're tired of it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun day. I never had a Grandparent take me fishing. Those lucky boys. Peace

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've seen Butterflies do this before and have a photo of a large group. I think they are getting some mineral from the rocks.
    We call them Sun Fish, also. Never heard of Pumking fish.
    That was a big turtle. I'm glad you enjoyed the fishing trip. It is much too hot here to go fishing. You are making beautiful memories with the boys. My grandfather took me fishing the first time when I was about 8 years old. Maybe when I move, I'll take my grands in Alabama.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so special!!! These are very special moments you are spending with your Grand children....Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. After reading your post, I want to come fishing with you too. Imagine the fun we'd have. I doubt we'd get any fishing done though, do you? I'm convinced you bring a lot of joy to those boy's lives and they feel very loved.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you didn't catch that turtle. You captured some fine pictures with your camera. Rain again...but enjoy your day anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like you guys had a really fun morning. Fishing and a snapping turtle ~ what more could a boy want!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the photos of Jordan fishing. I bet you had lotsd of fun watching.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like lots of fun! Thanks for sharing the fishing photos and for taking time to participate in this silly ‘needs’ meme. I enjoyed all your results and comments … especially #5 and 6. I appreciate the linky-love too.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  17. I did the meme..funny stuff comes up, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like you and the boys have been having a wonderful time this summer. Jordan wettin' a hook - that is the life! I like the pic of the turtle, they are hard to get a pic of.

    I've heard that the turtles at Vickery Creek in Roswell, Ga are huge, but I didn't get a pic last year. I'll have to go back, early morning, before all of the hikers and fishers show up!

    ReplyDelete