Tuesday, December 30

A Treasured Gift

Jean of Speaking from the Heart has started a new meme. I discovered it when I visited Denise from Shortybear's Place. It looked interesting, so I checked it out. It is called "I Remember When."

One of my fondest memories is Christmas at Grandma's. When Grandma lived next door to us, we would always trudge across the snowy field to celebrate Christmas Day with Grandma and all of my aunts and uncles and their families. It was always a joyous occasion. Grandma always decorated her tree on Christmas Eve, so when we walked in the door on Christmas, the first thing we saw was the tree. It was always a spruce if Grandma had her way and it was always decorated with the vintage decorations that she had collected over the years.

The focus of Christmas was not so much on the gifts, but the birthday of our Lord. Second to that came the celebration of being with family. We kids all waited in anticipation of the gift giving, as Grandpa always insisted that the meal be taken first and then when the kitchen cleanup was completed, he would hand out the gifts. No one else was allowed to go near the Christmas tree until that time. Each year, as faithful as clockwork, I would unwrap a book that was wrapped in green tissue paper and tied with red cord. A few Christmas stickers was always added to brighten the gift up just a little.

That gift in that green tissue paper was one I always looked forward to and the contents were always treasured. Grandma & Grandpa had little money but each year I received a book. As I grew older, it was always the latest released Nancy Drew Mystery and that suited me fine. I still look forward to receiving a book for Christmas.

Today, I wrap Brandon & Jordan's big gift from us in green tissue. I don't add the red cord, but do add the Christmas stickers. You can see the wrapping from Brandon's gift this year in the post below. It makes me wonder if in years to come the boys will Remember When Grandma wrapped their Christmas gifts in green tissue paper with stickers added to make the parcel just a little more festive.

If you would like to take part in this meme, be sure to follow the link above and add your name to Mr. Linky on Jean's site. ~Blessings, Mary~

PS. To read about my memories of Grandma's Kitchen, please click on the link.

20 comments:

  1. I think the fact that it was a yearly ritual is what makes the memory so poignant and special. Such memories are good to have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I get older, traditions become more important to me. The gift wrapped in green tissues will become our tradition, starting Christmas 2009. Thank you for participating.

    Jean

    P.S. I love reading about your grandma's kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary,just stopped by to wish you a Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great memory. I know your grandsons will have lots of those from their time spent with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading about Christmas traditions and memories...
    and how sweet that your grandparents knew to give you books that you would really treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed your walk down memory lane my friend, love you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could write some wonderful memories of Christmas at both Grand mas they lived a mile apart.

    Wonderful memories and it was fun to catch up on all of your Christmas doings. I am playing catch-up now and finally finished a post.

    Grandma's kitchen was designed for her and she was really short - I outgrew her at age 10, and it was hard for me to help her with the dishes because the sink was so low!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have such good memories of my childhood Christmases. As you say, the emphasis was more on being together as a family than on gifts. We didn't have the money for many gifts, but we were blessed to be together.

    I've already blogged about many of my childhood memories, but I still intend to write more about them.

    Hope you have a happy, healthy, prosperous and blessed 2009, my friend. :o)

    Much Love,

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mary, I also enjoyed reading all of the Nancy Drew books..simple things made us happy back then, but now days it is more expensive gifts for teens and adults..

    I also liked reading the B. Twins books..I forgot how to spell the name...there were many good books to read as I was growing up!!!

    Mary, may you have a "happy new year" and a blessed 2009..
    Hugs, Baba

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a great memory.. I love memories like that. Happy new Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What lovely Christmas memories Mary. The love of books is something that we carry with us all throughout our lives. Growing up in a very small town there wasn't a lot to do compared to now and I would spend many many happy hours reading books that took me to far away places. I loved the Hardy Boys series and just couldn't wait till the next one was available. I love the tradition of the green tissue with the red cord.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love reading others memories as it always stirs mine up and I remember childhood memories I haven't thought about in years. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  13. My favorite memory of Christmas is getting up early in the morning and heading for my stocking. I always knew just what I would find tucked inside.

    A new book to curl up with by the window, behind the tree. It always was a Nancy Drew book, just like yours. I still have the books and bring them out every so often to read.

    Mary may your New Years be filled with love and joy.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohhhhhhhh, what a blessing to have such a fond memory!! Mary, this was a delight to read. And what wonderful tradition you've made for yourself with the boys' gifts!!

    Happy NEW YEAR my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dearest Mary,

    I missed so many of your wonderful posts while I was on a blogging break but please know that I've now read them all and am caught up:-) So much fun seeing your Christmas pictures...that toilet seat you got for Michelle is just awesome! lol

    I so enjoyed reading this post as well, such a wonderful memory you have of your grandparents and the green wrapped present you would receive from them every year. I love that you've started that tradition with your grandsons as well!!

    Wishing you and yours all the very best that 2009 has to offer. I look forward to getting together with you again:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I checked on Pea's package. It is in customs. Hopefully she will get it. I can't believe we paid for priority mail and they have it tied up there.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I saw this at Shortybears too. I think I will do it soon. I think maybe it was a Meme for Fridays.

    I loved your Memory. I can totally picture that little girl running across the field excited about what was waiting. I wonder if we anticipate getting together with family like in the old days?
    I do miss those days with my grandparents. And I am sure your boys will think of them too when they get older.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a precious memory!! Have A Blessed 2009..m..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing your precious story about Christmas with your grandparents... memories...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mary-loved this peek into your childhood memories. And I love love that you wrap the boys gifts in the same manner-and yes they will remember it!

    ReplyDelete