Tuesday, February 24

Love Finds You in Last Chance California

I put my copy of Independence aside to read this historical fiction novel by Miralee Ferrell. This is Ms. Ferrell's second book. Her first, The Other Daughter, is next on my reading list.

This is the story of Alexia Travers, whose father has died unexpectedly. When Alexia finds out that her father has taken a hefty loan, putting the ranch up for collateral, she is devastated. Will she be able to keep the ranch?

The townspeople think that it isn't right for a woman to run a ranch on her own and want her to marry one of the town's eligible bachelors. Alexia refuses to marry anyone and is determined to make it on her own, with the help her uncle.

The plot thickens. Alexia's father's gold is missing, her neighbor suddenly wants to marry her and the horses that she's raising for the army suddenly begin to disappear. Enter the hero, a man who applies for work on the ranch. Unknown to Alexia, her father has sent for Justin because he feels that his life is in danger. Ferrell spins a good tale that is tightly written around mystery, intrigue and the suspicious death of Alexia's father. Secondary characters delight the reader and bring the story to life. This is one book in the Love Finds You series that you won't want to miss.


Both the heroine and hero are strong characters and the plot is well structured. Ferrell has done a great job of spinning this tale that will endear both Alexia and Justin to her readers. A bit of mystery, a little romance and a lot of double dealing crooks keeps the pages turning on this wonderful book.

Note: Miralee Ferrell and her husband traveled to Last Chance, California to visit the area of this mining town. Miralee has incorporated many historical facts with fiction and came up with a novel that will endear you to the characters long after you've finished the book.

There are several books in the Love Finds You series, published by Summerside Press. Love Finds You in Last Chance California can be purchased at Amazon.com or Christianbook.com Be sure to pick up a copy. It's a book you won't want to miss.

Remember:
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers. ~Charles W. Eliot

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like my kind of book and that quote is so true :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely not a romance reader. There have been a couple that I really, really liked, Thorn Birds and Gone with the Wind of course, but the market is saturated with "Love"....I've got all the love I can handle here at home. I just tend to walk past romance novels tho.

    Have a great day Mary. It's so beautiful here. We went to the beach yesterday...in the 80s!!!! So nice and perfect weather wise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good read with a little bit of history thrown in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mary...thank you for this suggestion!
    ~AM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I just found you through another blog and thought I'd let you know I visited. It's always nice to come across another writer, especially one flying a Canadian flag! Nice 'meeting' you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a good book, will try and remember the name. I am so bad, forget things left and right.
    I often think this is the type of book I could write. Will never know until I give it a try, right. Quit thinking and type, ok, maybe soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mary! I have been over at your daughters blog. I left her a note. I was just thrilled to hear that Brandon did so well on his trip!! That was such a big deal!! Wasn't it something that he texted her when he got confused! Wow that is a great step forward. I bet you are so proud of him.
    I read over at Sandy's that you had lost one of your writting job. I am so sorry about that..... it is hard right now on everyone. It takes so much for food!! whew!

    Ok I like reading so thanks for your tips. Hugs Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a really good book and it makes me wish that I was back into reading! It's been so many years since I've read a book and to think I use to read one or two Harlequin Romance books a day at one time! lol One of these days I will sit down with a book and see if I can concentrate enough on it to read!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Soudns like a good one, I love reading...and the quote is great!

    have a good rest of the week and give dakota a smooch for me

    Love, Jess

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi everyone---if you want to read a bit more about other books I've written or am writing, you can ck out my website. www.miraleeferrell.com

    Amy--Thanks for visiting and for your nice comment!

    Anni---I actually don't care for romances, either, LOL! And here I wrote one. But it's really more of a historical suspense with a lightly woven romance thread. I do NOT like mushy romances and avoid that in my books. You might just be pleasantly surprised if you try this one!

    Anvilcloud---Thank you! Our trip to the ghost town area of Last Chance helped me set the stage and bring the old town to life, as well as weaving in a bit of true life into the book. If you get a copy let me know what you think!

    AirmanMom---Thank YOU for stopping by!

    Hi Deborah--Glad you found Mary's Web site as well. Nice to meet you!

    BClark--This was my first historical suspense...I highly recommend if you think you can do it, then get started, girl! Study the craft, and try your hand at it. I'll bet you can do it!

    Carolyn---If you like reading and you pick up one of my books, I'd love to get your thoughts.

    PEA--I'm a lot like you. I used to read non-stop. Now I have a huge library and about 1/3 of the books I haven't read yet. Part of my 'excuse' tho, is I'm too busy writing now so other people can read. But I do miss reading like I used to.

    Jess---thank you for stopping by. I'd love it if you happened to pick up a copy of my book!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mary---You're getting a lot of comments, girl! Hey...if you want to do another quick post, I'm willing to do a drawing and give away a book to one of your awesome readers. I know we didn't plan on this, but you're getting great comments and I'd love to give away a signed copy. Post again if you'd like and announce it...and give it until Saturday evening, then you draw a name and let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mary,
    This sounds like a great book. I'm not familiar with this author, but would like to read her work.
    I saw your comment on Tipper's blog (Blind Pigs & Acorns) and thought I would visit your site. You have a very nice blog.
    I have quilt poems on my blog. You might want to visit it at: http://blueridgepoet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Some were practical, of course, but others were psychological
    and emotional. Anna had been looking through my
    phone while I was naked. The food is decent and the drink specials on Tuesdays include $2.


    Take a look at my web-site :: free pub quiz and answers

    ReplyDelete