Thursday, January 15

I've been tagged by the Hootin' Anni! And it is a fun tag to do!!! First, the rules are simple. As follows:
6th Picture Meme!

1. Go to your Picture Folder on your computer or wherever you store your pictures.
2. Go to the 6th Folder, then pick the 6th picture in that folder.
3. Post that picture on your blog and the story that goes along with the picture.
4. Tag 5 other peoples that you know or don’t know to do the same thing and leave a comment on their blog or an e-mail letting them know you chose them.



This is a picture of my maternal grandmother, Candace. She was born in 1905. Her mother died the following year and from what we've gathered, she died in childbirth.

When Grandma was 3 years old, her father died of a rare blood condition, which had been passed down to Grandma. Alfred (her father) bled to death.

An orphan, Grandma went to live with an aunt and then on to another aunt. Throughout her childhood, she was bounced from one family member to another. At 19 years old, she met my grandfather and they were married the following year. She had my mother, her oldest child, when she was 22.

Three years later, my uncle Walter was born. Two years after him, Aunt May arrived(she passed in November)...then Jim, Willie (deceased 1967) and Mabel, the youngest. Yes, Grandma had six children and they were all born at home. Most without a doctor present. With her blood condition, I'm surprised she survived all of these home births.

Grandma was in and out of the hospital all of her adult life. When I was a child I used to help her. She couldn't bend over to pick anything up or she would hemorrhage. Much of my childhood was devouted to helping Grandma who lived right next door.

When I was 12, Grandpa decided to move 100 miles north. No one knew what would become of Grandma because there weren't many hospitals in the area. However, she often came home to be admitted at St. Joseph's because they knew all about her blood condition as did her doctor, so it was worth the 2 hour drive to be sure she got the proper care.

Grandma could stitch like nobody's business. She made quilts (you can see one in the photo) embroidered and sewed all of the clothes for her children until Mom and Aunt May were old enough to sew.

One thing I remember about Grandma was her ever-present apron. It seemed that she had one for all occasions and she is wearing one in the photo above. They were all made on her treadle sewing machine, which was a Singer. I learned to sew on that machine, as did all of her daughters.

Before Grandma and Grandpa moved north, she had no electricity in the home. All meals were cooked on the cookstove and an oak icebox sat against the north wall of the kitchen. A long oak table and pressed-back chairs stretched across the room. Today I have that table and there are eleven leaves that go with it. It can seat 40 people.

There's so many memories that I could write about Grandma. She taught me many things, gave advice that I still remember to this day and pass along to my own grandsons. She also took me to church with her and learned me a love of God.

I still miss Grandma and have very few photographs of her. That is why I was so blessed just before Christmas when my mother gave me this photo of Grandma and another when she was very young, holding my mother.

Do you have memories of your grandmother. If so, I would love you to tell me about them in the comments.


If you would like to read about Grandma's Kitchen, you can do so HERE.

Now I am to tag five people to do this meme. So, here we go:

1. Renie at Renie Burghardt's World

2. Denise at Shorty Bear's Place

3. Pea at Pea's Corner

4. Paula at On A Rainy Night

5. Amy at I Love Retro Things

and of course anyone else who would like to take part. Just leave me a comment to let me know you've participated in the meme. I'd love to see your photo and read your story.

Have a great evening and stay warm and safe. ~Blessings, Mary~

17 comments:

  1. Your Grandma must have been a strong women to live through all she did. My maternal Grandma died before I turned one so I don't remember her. My paternal Grandma died when I was 4. I remember going to see her when she was sick with cancer and was living at my aunts house, shortly before she died. I was going to crawl in the bed with her. My dad told me not to, and she told him to let me come and see her. I now know how painful this had to have been for her and am happy to have the memory of snuggling with her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, yes, I have wonderful memories of my paternal grandma...thank you for bringing them to mind! Because my mom worked and dad went to University, Grandma took care of me all through my young life. She lived with us after Grandpa died, too and I can truly say that we were best friends. She could bake up a storm and loved to garden and taught me much of what I know. She had a great sense of humor and a stinging Irish temper. She was strong, only about 5 foot tall, kind to all animals and she loved me so, so much. I loved her, too, more than I can say. She lived to be 91 and I can't believe she's been gone almost 20 years. But I have such good memories...I wish my daughter could have known her. They would have had such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that you posted that picture back last year....... I do not think I was dreaming......You have such wonderful memories of your grandmother........ What a joy to remember that apron....... I so miss my grandmother.....she was a mentor and friend...........

    Hope you are staying warm...... we are cold here but not as cold as you... I am having terrible trouble with Mother and her headaches....... at my wits end.... I need to go to the Dr tomorrow but am going to talk to her Dr Monday and see if they will put her in the hospital......

    Have a blessed weekend girl..... I will try to get an email off to you soon.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes your grandmother must have been a strong woman. I'm doing this meme first thing tomorrow morning (my time) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. eleven leaves ... 40 people?

    Hold cow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoy the stories of your relatives and this memory of your Grandma is no exception. She sounds like a wonderful lady and you were lucky to have her for a Grandma.
    My Grandparents, my Mom's folks, owned a lumber yard and hardware store and I loved to go to the store and spend the day with my Grandma. She would always put us to work dusting or counting nails. I'm pretty sure that she didn't really take inventory as often as she had us counting. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, and I'll get that meme done in the next few days. I hope my pictures interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My grandmother died when I was 12. I have a cute picture of us together when I was around 3 or 4 - she was at the sink washing dishes and I was standing on a chair drying them.

    She had arthritis in her knees. She used to put some ointment on her knees, wrap them with a cotton bandage, and lie down on the bed with a heating lamp over them. She used to always wear lace-up shoes with a little heel and always wore an apron.

    Everyone on her street called her Mom-Mom - all the kids especially loved her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent Mary!!! Just plain, excellent. What a great, strong, caring and intelligent woman. To have lived the life she did and continued to praise her Lord...that is just amazing. Love the photo, and the quilt...is it still around? The quilt that is.

    Glad you did the tag. Thanks.

    Have a great Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great idea. I'm going to check out my photo's & see wich one that is.
    I loved being with my Grandma when I was a kid. She had a hardware store & I used to spend lots of time dusting shelf's, sweeping & just messing around down there. I always felt loved when I was with Grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mary I loved reading about your Grandmother-and seeing the picture of her. One grandmother I called Granny and the other Mamaw. I loved them both greatly-and miss them both greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was fascinating reading. Your grandma sounds like a warm and loving person - everything a grandma SHOULD be! Loved the picture and truly loved the story.

    Now you've GOT to show a picture of that table. It sounds so cool...what a thing to have passed down to you! I have the bench that sat at my grandparents dining room table for as long as I can remember. Something about that bench just makes me feel good. It also makes me miss those fun family get-togethers at Grandma's house more than ever. :)

    Kari

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Mary!! I know, don't faint!! I haven't been out and about in blogging land for a long time!
    I love your new blog look!! So beautiful!!
    I loved your post about your Grandma!
    Love and hugs Grams

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice posting. I have some "goodies" for you on my site.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really liked this meme...its so neat!

    And the story is priceless...what a strong woman

    Love, Jess

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Mary, what a precious picture of your Grandma to have...especially since she's wearing one of her aprons and sitting on a bed with one of her quilts:-) I loved hearing more about her as well...such a strong woman. Makes you wonder how they survived all they did back then! I'm almost afraid to see what my 6th picture is in my 6th folder! lol Will try to get it done real soon:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete