Thursday, May 14

Making Do = Delicious Roast Turkey

Earlier this week I was in the grocery store and saw Butter*ball turkeys on sale. A 6 lb. turkey was $12 and that was a good deal, so I bought one. I knew our oven wasn't working but thought this bird would fit into the crockpot. I was mistaken.

Since it was a fresh turkey, I really didn't want to freeze it. I tried to figure out what I was going to do. Hubby and I put our heads together and decided that we would BBQ it.

Now our BBQ has no spit and is electric. We figured why not use it like an oven and put the turkey in a roasting dish and roast it. We cleaned it, washed it and placed it in the roaster only to realize the lid wouldn't fit. That was fine. I just covered it with aluminum foil.

It took us a while to get the BBQ heated to the right temperature. Then we put the roaster right on the rack. Of course we added water. 2.5 hours later, it was done to perfection. It did take more water than it would have if we'd cooked it in the oven, but we kept a close watch on it and ended up with a delicious meal.

Just goes to prove, where there's a will, there's a way. Hope you had a great day.

10 comments:

  1. What a great idea!!
    I think a Turkey dinner is always a delicious idea and you are right about the price being good.
    Thanks for the hint!

    ReplyDelete
  2. $12 a turkey, where did it come from, from the back of a truck? LOL

    I bet the turkey tasted good. Who did you invite for dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Around here...in Texas, the 'in thing' is to deep fat fry whole turkeys. To me....the BBQ'r idea sounds more to my liking!!!

    And turkey leftovers for days is another thing that I like. Sandwiches, stroganov, hash, more sandwiches....yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We did that once. I think as long they're <12lbs, it works well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's right! You have a long weekend this weekend. How long did it take you to Q the Bird!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds wonderful - and I'll bet the aroma filled the neighborhood!

    I tried to get a breast for 99 cents a point last week, but they were sold out. I have a rain check, but they still didn't have any the next time I went in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How ingenuous! I guess you could have cut the legs and wings off and maybe gotten it in the crockpot but this worked and the bird turned out well. I know lots of people have those deep fryers for turkeys now. Scary. And then there are smokers. What's wrong with your oven?
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are quite a smart couple!! You know when I bake a turkey I never add water..hm!! Always told not too..Oh well..glad yours turned out so well.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love turkey! I bet it was good. We've been buying whole roasting chickens lately for around 80cents a lb. They are delicious, I put them in a Reynolds cooking bag and they're done in around 1 1/2 hours. I get the biggest one I can find, usually around 6 pounds.

    ReplyDelete