Sunday, January 22

Antique Scuttle Shaving Mugs

At the fleamarket two weeks ago, hubby and I came across some shaving mugs. There were eight different ones and the dealer happen to see us looking at one. He offered it to us for a small discount, but I told hubby we'd pass.

Then the dealer said something that caught my ear. "Bundle." I asked him if he was interested in bundling the shaving mugs together for a better deal. The price he gave us dumbfounded me. It was a opportunity I couldn't pass up since I sell on Etsy.

We purchased all eight shaving mugs. The ones I want to show you today are the scuttle shaving mugs.

This one is a nice shape and has lovely orange flowers on both sides. It is unmarked.
This one is so pretty. It has been repaired on the bottom and is also unmarked
The above shaving scuttle mug was Made in Germany and is hand painted.
A beautiful shape and a lovely pink rose on the front. Victorian era.
The one is English and is an unusual shape. I am still researching it to see if I can find out more.

A Little History on Shaving Mugs

Scuttle mugs were first used in the beginning of the 19th century. The first patent for a scuttle mug dates to 1867.

Scuttle mugs were popular. Hard soap was placed in the soap dish portion of the shaving mug. The holes allowed the water to drain off the soap and the excess water was poured off through the mouth of the scuttle. When the person was finished shaving, the shaving brush was placed handle first into the scuttle for drying.

There are a couple of shaving mugs in this lot that I hate to part with because of the lovely hand painted flowers and the history of the mugs. The Victorian one is especially hard because my great-grandfather had one that shape and style. I can't remember any picture on it. I believe it was pure white with a bit of gold trim.

I wonder if these shaving scuttle mugs could talk, the stories they would tell. Who used them? What was their occupation? Did they have family? Any ideas of what they might tell us?

11 comments:

  1. Very interesting! I've never heard of these before and would have never guessed what they are used for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who knew? Well ... I guess you did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea that these even existed. Great story. They are all pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look like tea pots without lids. LOL Oh, if they do begin to tell you tales, please write them down to share with us. I like the shape of the Victorian one but wish it had the flowers of the green one on it. Peace

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Those are awesome... What treasures! You were blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh they are all gorgeous, Mary, and I can well imagine how hard it will be to part with them. I bought a blue & white vintage shaving mug at the auction not long ago and have my dad's old shaving brush (the one he used all the time and would place a dab of shaving cream from it on my nose when I'd watch him shave) in it:-) Whenever I see vintage items I think the same thing, who owned them, what were they used for, etc...as you say, imagine the stories they could tell!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I could download the pictures of the shaving scuttles you purchased Mary. Tried and get a blk screen. My brother just sent me a scuttle mug that dates back to the time of my grandfather. It looks like the one you described above...pink roses on the front and back....white bone china, looks English, probably Victorian. The soap dish is scalloped and it has a scrolled handle and fluted pour spout. Thanks so much for the information on how it was actually used.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those ωho aгe intimatе ωіth massivеly
    multіplayеr Onlіne part playіng games woulԁ оf visceral gameplау aspects that ωill
    Haνe you ѕay Нey, that's amazing! The internet is good of tro choi that are have an cyberspace connector. The number one thing players should do is chief to options of Outstanding oddity regarding games.

    My web blog ... game

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could find a captcha plugin for my comment form?
    I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm
    having problems finding one? Thanks a lot!

    my homepage huperzine-a

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alгеаdу late tο а markеt niche, like otheг Wіndoωs-bаsеd
    tаblets, unless ѕome attгаctіve consumeг-oriented sοftωare emerges.


    My blоg poѕt ... may tinh bang

    ReplyDelete