Wednesday, October 10

Game of Tag

8 Things That Make Me, Me.

Deborah Wilson has tagged me for the Random 8 Meme.

According to Deborah's blog, these are the rules.

1. Link to your tagger and post these rules.
2. List (8) random facts about yourself.
3. Tag 8 people at the end of your post and list their names, including a link back to their blog.
4. Let them know they've been tagged by leaving a comment on their blogs.

Note: I'm not sure I've been at blogspot long enough to list 8 people who haven't already been tagged. However, I will tag some.

8 Things That Make Me, Me:

1. My grandmother had a big influence on my life. I find myself remembering advice that she gave me and passing it on to my grandsons. Many times throughout my life, Grandma's words have helped me to face life and I want to give my grandsons the same gifts that Grandma gave me.

2. Growing up on a farm in southwestern Ontario certainly had a big impact on my life. I learned at a young age that death is a part of life. This fact alone has helped me face the loss of many loved ones throughout the years.

3. I was widowed at a very young age. I was a single mother for 17 years, at which time I remarried. Being a widow and single mother taught me to be independent and how to take care of myself and my daughter. When I married my second husband, it was difficult sharing experiences and decisions, as I'd always done it on my own.

4. When I was in grade 5, a teacher I disliked intensely told me that one day I would be a great writer. Though that hasn't occurred, I am a writer. Without his words of encouragement I'm not sure that I would have had the courage to face all the rejections I've had over the years. Thank you Mr. Chrysler.

5. My father and mother brought us up in a house were alcohol wasn't allowed. This has had a great impact on my life, as alcohol has never been a part of it.

6. Mom and Grandma brought me up to be a good cook and a thrifty shopper. Thanks to them both. Without them I would have had a more difficult time through the financial hardships I've experienced.

7. I've been a mother, a nurse, a factory worker, a retail sales clerk, a manager, a business owner, a landlady, a freelance writer and a grandmother, among other things. The many experiences I've encountered have made me a woman of many hats. Without these experiences, I wouldn't have the knowledge that I have today.

8. My grandparents were strict Penecostals. I used to go to church with Grandma and stand beside her throughout the services. I can still remember standing there, singing the hymns and loving the music. Having a church background has certainly had a huge impact on the way I look at life. I wonder how different my morals would have been had Grandma not taken me to church every Sunday. Would I have been a different person than I am today? I guess I'll never know.

-------------------------------

Tags:

Tina
Hootin Anni
Tossing Pebbles in the Stream
Sandy
Willow
RocRebelGranny

These people may or not participate. I only ask them to if they want to and if they have the time. This was fun and it was nice of Deborah to tag me.

23 comments:

  1. I don't know if I can list 8 things that make me ME, but I guess I'll give it a try. I'll let you know when I've posted them.

    Now I know a little more about you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll do the tag probably over the weekend.

    I love the fact that those eight things in your life made you what you are!!

    Now, I'd like to know more about your free lance writing someday. Hope you share some of that in your blog sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can do it, Sandy. It took me a while, but when I thought about it really hard and went all the way back to my childhood, I was able to accomplish the goal. I will be checking your blog to see how you made out.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anni,

    Thanks! I'm looking forward to getting to know you better.

    Yes, one day soon I will post about my writing so you can learn a bit more about me.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. The me that you are, seems to be a very dear person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mary, Thanks for visiting my place today..Sounds like you and your family had a nice Thanksgiving.... You said you are a nurse...What kind and do you work as a nurse??? I retired 3 years ago and miss my little babies.... Will be back to visit you later. Baba

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mary,

    Nice surprise to find your eight things listed here.

    Grandma's are the best, aren't they? Mine passed on in 2001, but her life, love, and wisdom still inspire me.

    Sounds like you've trudged through the fire and come out shining like pure gold!

    Many blessings,
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  8. Denise,

    Thank you for your wonderful comments. Today has been full of blessings and you are one of them.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Baba,

    I worked as a geriatric nurse for several years and most of my patients have passed on now. I also worked as a private duty nurse for a few years. I gave up nursing in the mid 70s, as I saw too much elder abuse and the governent just didn't seem to care at that time. Today, there have been new laws passed and seniors are being taken much better care of.

    Thanks for visiting. I'll stop by your blog again.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michele,

    Grandma was my inspiration, as well as my Mom. The world would be a terrible place without grandmas.

    I have walked through the fire, but feel that it has made me stronger in so many ways. Sometimes trials can be blessings in disguise. I look at it from the point of view of steel that becomes hard and strong when it is forged. I know many women who have been forged in fire.

    Always nice to have you drop by for a visit.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. on my first visit and i learn so much about you right away! I wanted to drop by and thank you for coming to my blog. Thank your for praying for my BIL Sonny. he is still having quite a time. He really needs prayer right now so that the doctors will know what to do to get his heart back in sync. Come back anytime..Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Flip Flop,

    Thank you for dropping by. I enjoyed my visit to your blog very much and will be back. In the meantime, I will continue to pray for Sonny.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for visiting my site.

    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for tagging me; I'll get to it soon! Thanks for the heads up on the tea to help our colds. I'll look for a health food store in town--we're new here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Debbie,

    I enjoyed my visit to your site and will be visiting again.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. willow,

    The tea really works. I hope you settle into your new community easily. Take care.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mary,

    Those 8 things say alot - A good post! Grandmothers and Mothers are treasures that's for sure. I'm sure that the foundations that they provided for you are what helped you through the hard times of being a single mother and being alone.

    But I know that it is better now, you are no longer alone and have a new life - I can see it in the way that you write on your blog...:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mary,

    Loved your meme! Lot of the things you list I already knew about you,(we go back a ways, don't we?) some of the things are a surprise. Loved reading them all.

    Have a lovely day!

    Renie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Deborah,

    I was so busy working when I was alone that I didn't have time to be lonely. LOL. I'm glad those days are over. Being a single mother is no fun.

    Yes, there's nothing in the world like mothers and grandmothers. We need to cherish them while they're here. Thank goodness my mother is still around and in fairly good health.

    Thanks for tagging me. It was fun looking inside myself to see what made me, me.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  20. Renie,

    I believe we've known each other for about 9 years? And I'm always thankful for being blessed with your friendship.

    Have a wonderful day in your woods.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey, I loved reading your eight meme's. Grandmas are the best. I never knew but one of mine and she lived right across the road from us. I hope our grandchildren will remember us with love. I'm sure your grandsons will. They will have wonderful memories of you and them going to the farm together.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ancient One,

    I'm glad you enjoyed reading about what makes me, me. I had to think about them for a while, but enjoyed peeking into my brain.

    Yes, grandmothers are special. I lived next door to my grandmother and just ran across the field to visit her. That was several times a day. I'm very fortunate to have had her to teach me many of life's lessons.

    I hope you will drop by again. I certainly enjoyed visiting your blog and will be back.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mary,

    Your list confirms what I already knew - you are a remarkable, accomplished woman of strength and courage!

    Sorry I am late for the game. But I can only think of three people to tag and you and Renie are already taken! LOL

    hugs,
    Tina

    ReplyDelete